Saturday, July 24, 2010

Let's get Crafty!

I ran 7.5 miles this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, Brandon was working late as the MOD (manger on duty) since there are under age kids at the camp. I had the car because I had been at a friend's house most the day so I got to the camp around 10 pm and spent some time with Brandon. Typically when you're MOD you're supposed to spend the night at the camp but there's a coach that lives there so once he comes back for the night we take off. It wasn't until 2 am that they came staggering in after having a "few" drinks at the bar across the street. I haven't been around drunk people much in my life, but they are in fact quite humorous. However, I would have found it more humorous had it not been 2 am and I had hardly slept and I knew I needed to be up by 6 to meet my running group by 6:30 this morning. So needless to say I didn't get much sleep and then running 7.5 miles basically made me want to die. I really pushed myself this time, trying to improve myself so my body was REALLY feelin it! When I got home I showered and then started reading a book, I think I only got through a few pages before crashing for a REALLY long nap... It may or may not have been 3 possibly 4 hours long. I only got up because I forced myself too. ha!

Anyway this post says it's about crafts... so enough about running. Since I've found myself bored on more than one occasion I decided to start creating stuff to keep me busy. So I pulled up the trusty ol' Martha Stewart website to see what fun things I could do. I had planned to visit my friend... the one that got me into this whole running mess... We live in the same stake and yet we live about an hour from each other. Go figure. (GPS said 1hr 25 mins but I did it 1hr and 10 mins and I didn't even speed so apparently GPS isn't always that accurate! ha) I'm still flabbergasted that someone in my stake could live so far away, it sucks because I make a friend and then I never get to see them! As I was driving I realized, "this is like me driving to LA from my parents house!" It's crazy to think of all the many different stakes and wards there are between Mission Viejo and LA compared to here. ANYWAY... we planned on going to a flea market which turned out to not be very hoppin... apparently Saturday and Sundays are the prime time to go. Why they even claim to be open Friday I don't know. But we did get some awesome DVD's for $2 each so it wasn't a total loss. After we got some lunch at Applebee's we started on our crafting! :) Then after that we watched Marley & Me (one of our $2 movie purchases) it was a super fun day and very needed so I could get out of the house. I just wish Des lived closer! Oh well, thanks for the fun time! Here's the crafts I did. They are really easy to do and fun for kids, Desiree's little girl even made one of her own.

I made these with regular soup cans and scrapbook paper. I cut the paper to size, and secured both ends of the paper with double sided tape. Then to give it a more finished look and make it more sturdy I Modge Podged the outside. (we tried modge podge on the inside and it made the paper wrinkly and hard to wrap around the can) Anyway they can be used as a pen holder, decorative piece, maybe put flowers in, or put goodies in it and give them to someone as a gift, etc.

These I think are way cool! You take pictures, these are of my dad as a kid and my grandparents, and bottle caps. Use an 1" circle punch to cut out the pictures. Then I used packaging tape because I didn't have a laminator and you laminate the pictures. Then just stuff them into the bottle cap. Get clear casting resin (which I still need to go buy, so these aren't quite finished yet) and pour it on top of the pictures, fill it to the top of the bottle cap and let dry over night. You can glue magnets to the backs, or I did thumb tacks because that's what we had handy, or you can glue safety pins and turn them into little buttons you can put on your kids backpacks or clothes or whatever. I was thinking with the magnets, besides using them on the fridge, it could be cool to stick them on a metal picture frame or something... Just some fun ideas. This could even be used as a girls camp idea... the girls have certification and they usually have something they earn, like beads for a bracelet, or buttons or something... you can put whatever kind of pictures you want in here and they could earn their pins... Just a thought. Anyway... Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. K so I just got all caught up on you and life...so fun! I am glad you guys are having a good time in FL. Look at you being all crafty :) You are so cute. I love crafts...it is my business after all. I love you and hope that you are doing well. You are so wonderful and I am so happy that I see you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend! I've been waiting to see you update your blog! You've been leaving me hanging! haha I hope you guys are doing well. I'll just keep stalking you on facbook :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bottle cap idea. I was such a cute child... Love ya'll. Your story of Brandon and the "underage" kids reminds me of the summer camp I worked at before we got married. Good times, no money, but good memories. Ha!

    ReplyDelete